Whisky Grilled Baby Back Ribs
- 2 (2 pound) slabs baby back pork ribs
- coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground red chile pepper
- 2 1/4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
- 2 teaspoons whiskey
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1/2 tablespoon ground red chile pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degree F (150 degrees C).
- Cut each full rack of ribs in half, so that you have 4 half racks. Sprinkle salt and pepper (more pepper than salt), and 1 tablespoon chile pepper over meat. Wrap each half rack in aluminum foil. Bake for 2 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir the onions in oil for 5 minutes. Stir in water, tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, honey, and Worcestershire sauce. Season with 2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, liquid smoke, whiskey, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, dark molasses, and 1/2 tablespoon ground chile pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer for 1 1/4 hours, uncovered, or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat, and set sauce aside.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
- Remove the ribs from the oven, and let stand 10 minutes. Remove the racks from the foil, and place on the grill. Grill the ribs for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Brush sauce on the ribs while they're grilling, just before you serve them (adding it too early will burn it).