- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 1/2 ounces granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- Bring the 1 1/2 cups of milk to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl and whisk until mixture forms ribbons.
- Combine warm milk and egg mixture in a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until sauce thickens.
- Test by coating a spoon with sauce and running a finger across it. If the sauce does not run together, it is at the proper consistency.
- Remove from heat and incorporate the 1/2 cup of cold milk. Strain sauce and chill in a container placed in a bowl of ice water. When cool, cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- Sauce may thicken when refrigerated. Simply add more milk to thin to desired consistency.