UNAGI DONBURI ( GRILLED EEL RICE BOWL)
Such a fun time re creating this recipe, Homemade caramelized sauce drizzled over the unagi and served with sushi rice, it just makes your mouth watering. You can buy a store brought unagi, and create ur own sauce... it gives this dish extra punch.
- 2 fillets unagi (eel) 1 fillet could be around 150 gr (available at any big supermarket
- Japanese sansho pepper (for toppings; optional)
UNAGI SAUCE (UNAGI TARE)for 8 serving
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (use dark soy sauce)
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp sake
1ST MAKE YOUR UNAGI SAUCE
- In a small saucepan, add mirin, sake, sugar. Turn on the heat to medium heat and whisk all the mixture.
- Then add soy sauce and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to the low heat/simmer and continue simmering for 10 minutes, or until the sauce slightly thickens. Toward the end of cooking, you will see more bubble.
- Remove from the heat. As it cools, the sauce will thicken more. You can store the sauce in an airtight jar and keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Preheat the broiler* with a rack placed about 6" (15 cm) away from the top heating element (in the middle) for 3 minutes. Line a baking sheet with foil for easy cleaning (Brush/spray the foil with oil). Cut the unagi in half (or thirds, depending on the serving bowl size to fit the unagi fillet) and place it on the foil, skin side down. Broil it medium/high until the surface is blistered a bit, about 5-7 minutes. No need to flip.*Typical broiler setting: Low/450ºF/232ºC, Medium/500ºF/260ºC, and High/550ºF/288ºC.
- In half way through, brush the unagi with the sauce once.
- Broil again for 30-60 seconds until you see bubbles on top of Unagi.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/218ºC with a rack placed in the middle and bake the unagi on parchment paper until the surface is blistered a bit, about 10-12 minutes. No need to flip.
TO PAN FRY
- Wrap the unagi in foil (similar to this recipe) and reheat on low heat for 5-8 minutes. You won't get nice blisters/chars if you use this method.
- Serve rice in a bowl and pour or brush Unagi Sauce on the rice. Serve Unagi on top of rice and pour/brush more Unagi Sauce. Serve immediately. You can also sprinkle Japanese sansho pepper.