ULTIMATE HOMEMADE CHINESE EGG ROLLS
ULTIMATE HOMEMADE CHINESE EGG ROLLS
Egg rolls. They’re the quintessential Chinese takeout food.THE KEY of good egg rolls is the homemade egg rolls skins. Egg rolls are fried, savory rolls, generally filled with cabbage chopped Prawn and chopped chicken cook with spices that creates that umami flavor of five spice. The wheat flour based wrappers form small bubbles when fried, giving them their signature look.
for the filling vegetables
- 8 cups savoy cabbage (shredded)
- 8 cups green cabbage (shredded)
- 2 cups carrot (shredded)
- 2 cups celery (shredded)
- 3 scallions (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of five spice powder
For the filling chicken
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing wine (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil (for sautéed)
- 1/4 teaspoon five spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cups (600 gr) diced chicken (I used chicken thighs)
Filling the Prawn
- 2 cups of large prawns (300 gr) diced
Egg Rolls Wrapers
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp of salt
- 1/3 cup of warm water
- 2 eggs
Egg rolls wrappers
- Into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, add All-Purpose Flour (2 cups) , Salt (3/4 tsp) , Water (1/3 cup) , and Eggs (2) . Mix on low speed for 2-3 minutes, until dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap. Let rest for 30-45 minutes.
- Divide dough into equal parts. Re-wrap any dough you aren't currently using. Fold dough into a bowl and start rolling, creating a round shape
- Stack the wrappers by lightly dusting with cornstarch between them to prevent sticking.
- Refrigerate egg roll wrappers for later, or use right away. If stacking, dust each side with flour so they don't stick to each other.
The Egg rolls fillings
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Put the cabbage, carrots, and celery into the boiling water and cook for about 2 minutes. Transfer the veggies to an ice bath and drain. Thoroughly squeeze out all the excess water from the vegetables (you can put the drained veggies in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out the water). This is a very important step because if the filling is too wet, you will have a wet filling and soggy egg rolls!
- Clean the prawn over cold water, make sure you clean the prawn well.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, put the prawn into a boiled water and immerse about 20-30 second, than transfer the prawn to an ice bath, set aside
- heat oil, add the chicken and sautéed and add the shoaling wine, five spices, oyster sauce, a tiny bit of soy sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. cook until all mix well together. set aside (don't overcook you don't want a dry chicken)
- Once everything is ready, transfer the veggies to a large mixing bowl. Add the scallions, salt, sugar, sesame oil, 2 tablespoons oil, five spice powder, white pepper, set aside (make sure the veggies are very dry)
- once the chicken and prawn is cool, mix the ingredients all together, you can adjust the testing once is all mix. (make sure as well that the chicken is in same temperature with the veggies)
To wrap the egg rolls, take a small fistful of filling, squeeze it a little in your hand until it is compressed together, and place it on the wrapper. The wrapping method is similar to that of a burrito. Just add a thin layer of egg to make sure it stays sealed. Line them up on a lightly floured surface, and continue assembling until you run out of ingredients.
In a small pot, heat oil to 325 degrees. You don't need too much—just enough to submerge the egg rolls. Carefully place a couple egg rolls into the oil, and fry them for about 5 minutes until golden brown. Keep them moving in the oil to make sure they fry evenly.
Cool slightly and serve! Freeze leftovers in freezer bags and reheat them in the oven at 350 degrees, until crispy.