THIS SUMMER RECIPE IS ON OF MY FAVORITE, JAPANESE CHICKEN MEATBALLS ON A STICK, THIS YAKITORI BASE SAUCE USUALLY GRILLED OVER CHARCOAL, SIMPLE TO MAKE AND YET SUPER ADDICTIVE
- 1 lb ground chicken (454 g/ I use thigh since its has more flavor)
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil (roasted)
- 1 Tbsp miso ( I use white miso, but you are welcome to combine red miso as well)
- 10 Shiso leaves
- 4 green onions/scallions
- kosher/sea salt
- ½ cup Yakitori Tare (recipe bellow)
- Shichimi Togarashi
YAKITORI TARE INGREDIENTS
- ½ cup soy sauce (120 ml)
- ½ cup mirin (120 ml)
- ¼ cup sake (60 ml) (you can replace with Mirin)
- ¼ cup water (60 ml)
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Pile and roll up the shiso leaves, then cut into thin julienne slices. Cut the scallion into thin slices.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. When it’s hot, add ⅓ of ground chicken and break it up into small pieces using a wooden spatula. Cook until no longer pink and transfer to a plate to let it cool.
- Combine the cooked chicken and uncooked chicken in a large bowl and mix well with rubber spatula.
- Add sesame oil and miso and mix well.
- Add the scallions and shiso leaves and combine well with silicone spatula.
- Now with your hand, knead 30 times clockwise. Then knead counterclockwise 30 times. The meat will become more pale in color and sticky. This part is very important for the meat to stay on stick so please do not skip this step.
- Grease the grill rack with brush. I use a cast iron griddle pan.
- Lightly coat your hands with sesame oil to prevent the meat from sticking. Scoop a handful of the chicken mixture and form into a round patty.
- Toss the meat to left and right hands to release the air pockets and gently squeeze to form the meat into a long oval patty, about 5 cm in length. Insert the skewer on the prepared wire rack.
- Lightly sprinkle salt over the chicken skewers.
- Preheat the oven to High Broil (550F) for 5 minutes. Boil in the middle rack, for 6 minutes. Then flip the skewers over and broil more for 4 minutes.
- When both sides are cooked, brush the yakitori sauce on the meat and broil for another 30 seconds. Transfer the skewers to a serving plate and brush the extra sauce on the meat. Serve with Shichimi Togarashi.
- In a small saucepan, add mirin, soy sauce, sake, water, brown sugar, and the green part of 1 scallion, and bring it to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the liquid is reduced by half. It will take about 30 minutes. The sauce will thicken with a glossy shine. Let it cool to room temperature before using. Reserve ⅓ of the sauce in a small bowl for final coating (Use this sauce after the chicken is cooked).
Note: the sauce you can make ahead of time, once is cool you can set aside to a good Maison jar container or any airtight container, it can be preserve 2-3 months, make sure you discard the green onion.