Tres Leches Espresso Cake
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 12 to 16 servings
A beautiful vanilla cake soaked with 3 different kinds of milk and espresso to make a wonderful and decadent dessert.
For The Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 10 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup espresso or strongly brewed coffee
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
For The Cake
- Adjust rack to the middle position, and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter and flour a 9x13-inch baking dish, preferably glass.In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until they become frothy, then slowly add in 1/4 cup of sugar. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until firm but not dry peaks are formed, about 3 minutes. Transfer the whites to a bowl.In the bowl of a stand mixer (no need to wash) fitted with the whisk attachment, add in the egg yolks and remaining 3/4 cup of sugar and beat on medium speed until the mixture is pale yellow and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add in the milk and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Fold in a third of the flour mixture using a spatula into the egg yolk mixture until combined. Next, gently fold in a third of the egg whites until fully combined.Fold in the remaining dry ingredients then egg whites, alternatively, in two more batches, until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish, and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely. Wash the baking dish. Return the completely cooled cake to the dish for assembly.
- In a medium saucepan combine all 3 milks, coffee, and salt. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring often, until the the condensed milk is dissolved, and the mixture bubbles around the edges, about 3 to 5 minutes. Be careful not to scorch the mixture. Remove from the mixture from the stove and pour into a large measuring glass (about 4 cups).
- With a toothpick or skewer, poke the cake in 1/2-inch intervals. Slowly pour the soaking liquid on the cake starting on the edges, and allowing it to soak it up before adding more. Use up all the liquid.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours up to 24 hours.
Variation: To make this a classic vanilla tres leches cake, simply omit the coffee from the soaking liquid and increase the evaporated milk to a whole 12-oz can. Also, omit the espresso powder from the whipped cream.