I have made this vegetarian dish over 2 years now, I have always posted on my media but never share the recipe. I have been getting a lot of request for this recipe, it’s quite easy actually, using the same recipe as chicken katsu don, except with tofu. Alas I will share this anyway. Stay safe and stay healthy
- 150 gr / sliced silken Japanese tofu (5 pcs each bowl)
- kosher/sea salt (I use Diamond Crystal; Use half for table salt)
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- neutral-flavored oil (vegetable, canola, etc) (for deep frying)
For the seasoning
- ½ onion
- 2 eggs beaten
- ⅔ cup dashi (Japanese soup stock; click to learn more)
- 1½ Tbsp sake
- 1½ Tbsp mirin
- 1½ Tbsp soy sauce
- 1½ tsp sugar
For the serving
- 2 serving cooked Japanese short-grain rice
- mitsuba (Japanese parsley)
- Ichimi Togarashi (Japanese chili pepper)
- Dust salt and pepper onto tofu and dredge in the flour, the beaten egg (1 egg) and the panko.
- Heat ½ inch of oil in a frying pan and deep fry at 350F (180C) until golden brown. Take out the chicken and drain extra oil on paper towel.
- Slice onion and make dashi stock.
- In a frying pan, bring Seasonings and onion to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and cook onion until wilted.
- Put TOFU katsu in it and turn the heat up to medium high heat. Pour and distribute beaten egg (2 eggs) evenly.
- When the egg is half cooked, roughly 30 seconds, add mitsuba and turn off the heat. Serve rice in a Donburi bowl and put Chicken and egg mixture on top. Serve with Ichimi togarashi (chili pepper) on the side.