Tiramisu French Toast
- Tiramisu French Toast
- 1 Loaf Stale French Bread, cut into ¾”-1” slices
- 1/2 cup Espresso or Strongly Brewed Coffee
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Half & Half, cold
- 1 tbsp Kahlua, or other coffee liqueur
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Pinch of Salt
- 6 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp Dutch Press Cocoa
- 1 tbsp Half & Half, Milk, or Water (any liquid)
Mascarpone Whipped Cream
- 1 cup Heavy Cream, cold
- ¼ cup Confectioners Sugar
- ½ tsp Vanilla
- 6 oz (170g) Mascarpone, cold
- 1 tbsp Kahlua (optional)
- 2 oz (50g) Quality Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup of mix berries
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
InstructionsTiramisu French Toast
- In a large bowl, add the espresso and sugar together and stir until all of the sugar has dissolved. Add the cold half & half, Kahlua, vanilla, and salt, stirring to combine. Then add in the eggs, whisking until well combined and smooth. In a separate small glass or bowl, add the cocoa powder and 1 tbsp half & half/ milk / water, and whisk well until a smooth paste has formed, and no chunks or dry patches remain. Add the cocoa paste to the other ingredients in the large bowl, and whisk well to combine. Transfer to a large baking dish (about (9”x13”) to soak the bread in.
- Prepare a baking sheet by placing a wire cooling rack over top. Place bread slices into custard batter, soak for 30-40 seconds per side. Place soaked bread slices onto the wire rack that is over top of a baking sheet. Allow bread to rest on racks for around 5 minutes, while you preheat your pan.
- Preheat a large frying pan. When hot, add ½ tbsp of butter and ½ tbsp of oil. When butter has melted and bubbles have dissipated, add bread slices (do not overcrowd the pan). Cook about 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Assemble French Toast by adding Mascarpone Whip Cream, and drizzling with Chocolate Ganache.
- Add heavy cream, confectioners sugar, vanilla, and Kahlua (if using), to a stand mixer (fitted with the whip attachment) or a large bowl. Whip the cream with stand mixer or hand mixer until stiff peaks have formed. Add in the mascarpone, and beat until well combined, but do not over-whip.
- In a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, add heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and add in sugar and vanilla, stir to combine. Then add chopped chocolate to the hot heavy cream, and allow it to sit for 5 minutes (do not stir!). After 5 minutes has passed, use a whisk or spoon to stir the chocolate with the heavy cream. The chocolate should be melted at this point, and should mix with the heavy cream easily. Set aside to cool to almost room temperature.
- Mix all together in a jar and place chiller ready to serve