The Best Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
- 1 cup (240 ml) pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons (89 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 5 1/2 cups (715 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (113 g) honey
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast, (1 packet) SEE NOTE 1
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons honey butter, SEE NOTE 2
- Combine the pineapple juice, buttermilk, butter, and honey in a
large liquid measuring cup. Microwave in 30 second intervals until the temperature
reaches 110°F. The mixture may become curdled, this is normal.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix the flour, yeast,
and salt on low speed until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually pour in the pineapple
mixture followed by the egg and vanilla.
- Mix on low speed dough begins to come together, about 2 minutes.
Increase the speed to medium-low and mix until the dough is no longer sticking to the
sides of the bowl. It may still stick to the bottom.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape it into a
ball. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set in a warm
place to rise until doubled in size, about 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Punch the dough down to deflate it and transfer it to a lightly floured
work surface. Divide the dough into 15 equal size portions. Shape each portion into a
smooth ball and arrange them in a lightly oiled 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Cover the pan with plastic and set in a draft-free area to rise until
doubled in size, about 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven
- Brush the top of the rolls with melted honey butter. Bake the rolls
for 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown, rotating halfway through the baking
time. The internal temperature of the rolls should be 190°F.
- Brush the rolls with more melted honey butter and cool on a wire
rack for 10 minutes. Transfer the rolls to a wire rack and cool for another 20 minutes.
Rolls are best when eaten the day they are made.