- 4 braeburn apples peeled and quartere
- 100g caster sugar
- 50g butter
- Puff pastry, rolled to ½" thick and cut into 10" circle
- Icing sugar to dusting
- Vanilla ice-cream to serve
10" wide x 2" deep non-stick frying pan, with ovenproof or detachable handle
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Place the sugar in the bottom of a heavy based non-stick frying pan and heat until the sugar turns to a caramel colour, then add the butter in small pieces.
- Peel and core the apples and cut the apples into quarters, place the quartered apples in a circle in the caramel, rounded side down. Allow to continue caramelising but be careful not to let the sugar become too dark or it will burn.
- Roll the puff pastry out to ½" thick and cut a 10" diameter circle. Cover the apples with the pastry and place the hot pan in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes until the pastry and apples are cooked through.
- To serve, turn the tatin out of the pan onto a serving plate pastry-side down. Dust with icing sugar and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.