Spinach Artichoke Pasta
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can or 1 (10-ounce) box frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted, drained and quartered
- 1 shallot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 small bundle farm fresh spinach, stems trimmed
- Handful fresh mint leaves
- Handful lightly toasted slivered almonds
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Handful grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente, according to package directions. Drain and reserve about 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Heat 1-tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil in a medium, nonstick skillet. Add artichokes and sauté until lightly brown around the edges.
- In the bowl of a food processor add the shallot, chicken stock, spinach, mint, almonds, garlic, and salt and pepper, to taste. Turn processor on and add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil.
- Scrape the spinach pesto into the artichoke pan. Bring mixture to a simmer over low to medium-low heat and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the reserved pasta cooking water, the pasta and the cheese. Toss to coat the pasta with the sauce and heat for 1 minute. Transfer to a serving bowl or platter, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.