SPICY SPINACH AND RICCOTA RAVIOLI IN ULITMATE TOMATO SAUCE
Ravioli Dough Ingredients
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup hot water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Spinach and ricotta cheese ravioli filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 oz spinach
- ½ cup Parmesan cheeseshredded
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 springs of thyme
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1/2 cup ultimate tomato sauce https://sandradjohan.com/ultimate-italian-tomato-sauce/
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup double cream
- 5-6 pcs tomato grapes
Make ravioli dough:
Mix flour with salt.
Stir water with egg until well mixed.
In a bowl, combine flour and egg-water mixture together and mix until well incorporated. Knead the dough until well-textured and firm. The dough should not be too wet or too sticky. It should only stick to itself, but not to your hands. However, it should not be too dry, either. Make the dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough stand for 1 hour at room temperature before using. This allows gluten to work.
How to make ravioli cheese filling:
Heat olive oil on medium heat, add spinach and cook covered, stirring occasionally, until spinach wilted, about 15 minutes.
Cook for 5 or 10 more minutes uncovered until all liquid evaporates.
Chop cooked spinach finely and move to a bowl. Add Parmesan cheese and ricotta cheese, salt to taste and mix well. Add more salt if necessary.
How to assemble ravioli using ravioli mold:
After the ravioli dough has been resting at room temperature for 1 hour, divide the ravioli dough, into 2 equal halves and roll each half into a very thin sheet with a rolling pin. Make sure to have flour on hand and dust the working surface or rolling pan when necessary, because the dough will be sticky. It’s important that the ravioli dough be rolled very thinly (paper-thin), otherwise ravioli will be too solid when cooked, because dough expands during cooking. Also it will be really hard to use the ravioli mold if the dough is not thin enough.
Once you rolled sheets of dough, shape individual raviolis. To shape ravioli, I use a very handy device, ravioli mould/tray,
- REST your ravioli for at least 10 minutes to room temprature
- to cook your raviolli ; boil your water add salt and a bit of oil, when boil add your ravioli and let it cook until the dough surface.
Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. 5-6 tomatoes grapes and garlic and onion to the pan.
Add white wine and chopped thyme. Bring to boil and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes until half of liquid evaporates.
- then add the chili flakes, the ulitmate tomato sauce https://sandradjohan.com/ultimate-italian-tomato-sauce/ , then add the cooked ravioli, mix well, then to finish add the cream mix well again. To finish add butter, this to give the dish a good shine
- add the fresh basil, mix well, then garnish with parsley and serve with a good garlic bread