SPICY CHICKEN & BASIL FRIED RICE
Jasmine rice and fresh basil come together to make a Thai fried rice with basil that’s even better than the one your favorite restaurant makes.
- 300g (10 oz) thinly sliced chicken thighs
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 6 birds’ eye chillies*
- 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice (day old is best)
- 1 cup holy basil leaves*
- 4 crispy fried eggs to serve (optional)
- cucumber slices to serve
- lime wedges to serve
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- Combine the chicken with the marinade ingredients. Set aside for later.
- Use a mortar and pestle to pound the garlic, birds’ eye chillies and salt to a rough paste. Set aside for later.
- Make a stir-fry sauce by combining the oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside for later.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or frying pan over high heat. Add the onion and cook for 30 seconds. Then add the garlic chilli paste and cook for another 30 seconds. Then add the chicken and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Add the rice and the stir-fry sauce and stir-fry until well combined and the rice is evenly coloured. Now toss through the holy basil and remove from the heat.
- To serve, divide the rice among serving plates. Serve with a crispy fried egg, cucumber and lime.