SOYA HAINAN CHICKEN
this master recipe is so completely easy, I have tried many recipe and gone through a lot of fail recipes, but this one is a winner
- 1.4 kg Whole Chicken
- 1 TBsp Oil
- 100 g Rock Sugar
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1-2 Star Anise
- 2-3 Dried Bay Leaves
- 5 cloves Shallots
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 2 bunches Spring Onions
- 3-4 slices Ginger
- 1.5 cups dark soy sauce
- 1 litre Water
- 1 TBsp chinese rice wine
MARINADE FOR CHICKEN
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 TBsp dark soy sauce
- 2 TBsp maltose
- 1 TBsp Hot Water
- Remove the chicken innards, then exfoliate the skin and cavity with coarse salt. Rinse well and pat dry. Leave the chicken head intact.
- Rub the chicken all over with marinade ingredients and allow to marinate for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the skin from the ginger and slice it thinly.
- Remove the skin from the shallots and garlic, then bruise slightly with the blunt surface of your knife.
- Add the glaze ingredients together to form a syrup for later use.
- Wash the spring onions and set aside.
- In a deep medium-sized pot, heat up 1 TBsp of oil over medium heat. Then add in the garlic, shallots, ginger, cinnamon stick, star anise and bay leaves and fry until aromatic.
- Next, add in the 1 litre of water, 1.5 cups of dark soy sauce, spring onion and rock sugar, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, hold the chicken by its neck and lower it into the sauce, then lift it back out. Repeat this process three times.
- Finally place the whole chicken into the pot ensuring 3/4 of chicken is immersed in the soya sauce mixture. Cover the pot and cook the chicken over low fire for about 20 minutes, turning it every 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to high fire for 10 minutes to complete the cooking process. Check if the chicken is cooked through (see tips), then turn off the fire and allow the chicken to steep in the sauce for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and brush it all over with maltose syrup. Then brush it over with Chinese rice wine or Rose Rice Wine.
- Once the chicken is cool, chop it into pieces and serve with rice or noodles.
- serve with hainan chicken rice https://sandradjohan.com/hainanese-chicken-rice/