Savory Fragrant Beef Yakitori
- 1 ½lbs (700 g) top round beef I prefer beef
- tenderloin cut to cubes
- 30 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 4
- fours before using
- 4 candlenuts, roughly chopped
- 2 in (5 cm) fresh galangal, peeled and sliced
- 1 in (2 ½ cm) fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 to 3 red finger-length chilies, deseeded
- 5 shallots, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds or ground
- 3 tablespoons shaved palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
1 salam leaf
- Cut the beef into 1-in (2 ½ cm) cubes and set aside
- Make the Spice Paste by grinding all the ingredients, except the oil and salam leaf, to a smooth paste in a mortar or blender, adding a little of if necessary to keep the mixture turning. Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat and stiry-fry the ground paste with the salam leaf for 3 to 5 minutes until fragrant, remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- When cooled, place the Spice Paste and beef in a large bowl and mix well. Set aside in the refrigerator to marinate.
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for 4 hours before using so they do not burn when grilling the meat. Thread the marinated beef onto the skewers and grill over hot charcoal or under a preheated broiler for 2 to 3 minutes o each side, basting with the marinade, until cooked. Turn the skewers frequently to prevent the beef from burning, it should be browned on the outside and cooked on the inside.