- 7 ounces unsalted butter, melted and clarified
- 1/4 cup very finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 egg yolks
- salt and pepper
- To clarify butter, melt it over low heat without stirring. Once it has melted remove from heat and skim off the solids floating on top.
- Place shallots, tarragon, vinegar and wine on medium heat and boil for about 5 minutes. Strain the reduction - you should end up with about 2 tablespoons of liquid.
- Set up a double boiler arrangement with a Pyrex bowl and a saucepan. Place the egg yolks in the bowl and whisk in the reduced vinegar. Place bowl in pan of simmering water and cook, whisking continually, until mixture thickens - about five minutes.
- Remove from heat and very slowly whisk in clarified butter. Whisk in salt and pepper to taste.