Sambal Udang (Prawn Sambal)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 600g (1.5 lbs) prawn/shrimp, shelled and deveined (you can replace this with chicken, boiled eggs or simple fish)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp, mixed with 1/2 cup water and strained
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoons sugar or to taste
- 10 dry red chilies, deseeded
- 10 shallots, peeled
- 30g (1 oz) belacan (shirmp paste)
- Pound the spice paste using a mortar and pestle or grind with a food processor. Set aside.
- Heat up the cooking oil in a wok. Add the spice paste and stir-fry until aromatic.
- Add the prawn and continue to stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the water, tamarind juice and bring it to a quick boil.
- Add in the kaffir lime leaves, salt, and sugar. Dish out and serve immediately.