SALTED CHICKEN WINGS (TEBA SHIO)
This dish is part of YAKITORI dish, I first stumble this recipe while visiting Japan in the 90’s and immediately hooked. With just 3 ingredients this dish is a must have in my home. This my lazy day dish.
- chicken wings (flats/drumettes) (I use the whole chicken wings and cut the midjoints)
- 1 ½ cups sake
- freshly ground pepper
- kosher/sea salt (I use Diamond Crystal; Use half for table salt)
- Shichimi Togarashi (Japanese chili powder - for garnish or as side)
- Lemon (for garnish)
- Prepare the ingredients, line the baking sheet with aluminum sheet and place the wire rack on top.
- soak the chicken with sake for at least 30 minutes
- then pat dry the chicken wing, the sake helps intensify the flavor
- sprinkle the dried chicken with with generous salt and pepper, make sure it coats evenly.
- set the oven boiler ( top heat) for 4 minutes and place baking sheet in the middle rack and cook for 7-10 minutes one one side and then flip the other side and broil for another 7-9 minutes
NOTE : if you don't have boiler you can just bake or use a portable oven is also possible
- serve with togarasi and lemon