Roast Chicken with Maple Glaze
- 1 free range chicken
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- 1 garlic bulb,cut in half
- cloves separated
- handful of parsley stalks
- 115g butter
For the Glaze :
- 200ml maple syrup
- 2 garlic cloves,thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp mixed spice
- 3 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 lemon
- 50ml sherry vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.Sit the chicken on a large sheet of foil in a roasting tray and season with salt and papper.
- Add the lemon ,garlic and parsley stalks,and dot the chicken with the butter.Fold up the sides of the foil.Pour a glass of wter over the chicken seal the foil and place in the oven for 45’.
- Carefully open the foil package to expose the skin of the bird and continue rosting for another 15 – 20’.
- Meanwhile,make the glaze.Bring the maple syrup to the boil in a pan.Add the garlic,cinnamon and mixed spice.Then add the mustard,mixing well and season with salt and pepper.
- Finely grate the zest of the lemon and add it to the glaze.Squeeze the juice from half of the lemon and add it to the saucepan along with the sherry vinegar.
- When the skin of the chicken coloured and the flesh is almost cooked,baste the skin with the maple glaze and return it to the oven.Cook for a final 10’ allowing the glaze to turn quite dark.The chicken is done when you pierce the thickest part of the thigh with a skewer and the juices that run out are clear,not pink or bloody.
- Leave to rest for 10’b before carving.