Rack of Lamb with Ratatouille
- A little oil,for frying
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves,crushed
- knob of butter
- 2 racks(best end of neck)of lamb,trimmed and cut into 4 portions
For the Ratatouille :
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions,chopped
- 3 red peppers,deseeded and diced
- 3 yellow peppers,deseeded and diced
- 1 aubergine,diced
- 4 plum tomatoes,diced
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of sugar(optional)
- Handful of basil leaves,shredded
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/ gas 6.
- To make the ratatouille,heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion
- Over a medium heat for a few minutes without colouring.
- Add the red and yellow peppers and continue to cook for about 5-6’ so that they soften without colouring.Add the aubergine and continue cooking for another 5’.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes and season the mixture to taste,adding a little sugar to sweeten if necessary.
- Continue cooking the ratatouille over a medium heat for about 30’ so that the tomatoes reduce and you have a lovely thick ragout.
- Meanwhile,heat a touch of oil in a non stick frying pan.Add the rosemary,thyme and garlic,followed by the butter and cook until the butter is foaming and golden brown.
- Cover the lamb bones with foil.Put the racks in the frying pan and sear the meat in the flavoured oil for 1 – 2 ‘on each side,basting with the juices.
- If the frying pan is ovenproof,transfer it to the hot oven.Otherwise put the lamb in a roasting tin and roast for approximately 5’.
- Remove the lamb from the oven and allow it to rest for at least 15’ leaving the oven on.
- Once the meat has rested,reheat it in the oven for 3’.Stir the shredded basil into the ratatouille and serve with the lamb.