Potato and reblochon cheese gratin (tartiflette au reblochon)
- 20 gbutter
- 2brown onions, finely sliced
- 250 g(9 oz) diced smoked bacon, diced (you can replace this with sautee chicken, turkey, salmon or even smoked beef)
- 1.5 kg(about 3 lb) potatoes, cooked in the skin then cut into 1 cm slices
- freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1 reblochon cheese, cut in half horizontally then in half vertically (or use another washed rind cheese)
- ½ glassdry white wine (some prefer just chicken stock)
- 2 tbspchopped parsley
- Heat the butter in a pan and cook the onions for 3 - 4 minutes. Add the bacon and cook for a few more minutes before adding the potatoes. Stir well, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6).
- Line the base of a buttered oven dish with the potatoes. Spoon the crème fraîche on top and finish with a layer of the cheese, skin-side down. Pour the wine down the side of the dish.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until it bubbles and the cheese has just melted.
- Serve sprinkled with a little chopped parsley.