- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for pans
- ½ cup flour, plus more for pans
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup finely ground pistachios, plus ½ cup finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. finely ground almonds
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Grease and flour 1½" round financier molds or mini-muffin pans, set aside. Heat butter in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat, cook, without stirring, until butter begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Pour through a fine strainer into a bowl, cool.
- Whisk sugars, salt, and egg whites in a bowl until smooth. Add flour, ground pistachios, almonds, and baking powder, stir until combined. Add browned butter, stir until smooth. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350°. Pour about 1 tsp. batter into each mold, sprinkle with chopped pistachios, and bake until golden brown, about 16 minutes.
MAKES ABOUT 7 DOZEN SMALL CAKES