PERFECT CREAM MUSHROOM PENNE
This simple recipe is a winner, its restaurant standard recipe that will make your family happy, perfect dish for small parties.
- Use a high-quality pasta! – there’s nothing worse than glue-y or overly starchy pasta when you’re trying to pull off a creamy and delicious restaurant-quality pasta dish. Barilla always holds up well in any creamy pasta dish.
- Use fresh, high-quality ingredients! – Fresh, high-quality ingredients take this creamy mushroom pasta recipe over the top! Always choose fresh herbs, fresh shallots and fresh Parmesan!
- Pasta water is liquid gold! – The water you boil the pasta in is a critical part of almost any pasta recipe. Reserve about 3/4 cup of pasta water to help make the sauce of this creamy mushroom pasta silky smooth and extra creamy.
- Don’t overcook your pasta! – Cook the pasta according to the package directions just until it’s al dente. It’ll cook a little bit more in the sauce and turn out perfectly!
- 8 oz (penne) pasta cooked per package instructions
- 10-16 oz cremini mushrooms cleaned and sliced thick
- 3 plump fresh garlic cloves add more if you love garlic!
- 4 tbsp butter divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup milk recommend 2% or whole
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Optional Add Ins:
- Fresh spinach, sauteed shrimp, chicken, asparagus or stir in a couple spoonfuls of pesto
- In a large skillet with tall melt 3 tbsp butter over medium – medium/low heat. Stir in the sliced mushrooms and garlic cloves and saute for about 10 minutes.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in the pan.
- Stir in the 1 tsp salt
- Pour in the 1 cup heavy cream and ½ cup milk. Simmer lightly until it is thickened.
- Off the heat add the 8 oz cooked pasta (I use 1/4 cup pasta water as well) and ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese. Stir until the pasta is coated with the sauce and the cheese is melted. adjust your seasoning, add parsley as garnish