PERFECT APPLE PIE
I think over the years I have made dozen of Apple Pie, This one turns out to be my favorite one. Since I combine a very basic of French Pastry, American classic and a bit of Dutch recipe into this.
For the Crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cold, cubed
- 1/2 cup shortening cold, cubed
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
- 8 cups apples I like ginger gold or granny smith, peeled, cored, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
For the Topping:
- egg wash
- coarse sugar
For the dough:
- Mix the flour and salt together. Use a pastry cutter or forks to cut in the butter and shortening until mixture resembles pea-sized crumbs. Add the water one tablespoon at a time, stirring between each until dough starts to come together.
- Press dough together, divide in two and then shape into a thick disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30-60 minutes or up to 3 days.
For the Filling:
- In a large bowl, mix the apple slices with lemon juice and the sugar, flour, and spices together. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees with a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Roll out one dough disc (leave the other one in the fridge) on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle and transfer to a pie plate.
- Place the apples in the dough, discarding the liquid in the bowl.
- Roll out the remaining dough into a 12-inch circle. Place on top of the apples. Trim excess dough (if desired), pinch the edges of the dough together, and roll it under itself. Flute the edges. Make 5-6 slits in the top of the pie to allow steam to escape.
- Brush the top of the pie with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake for 45-55 minutes until golden. Place a pie shield on the pie after 25 minutes to prevent edges from getting too browned.
- Let pie cool on a wire rack. It takes 2-4 hours for pie filling to set. Store leftovers in fridge for 2-3 days.