Pan-Seared Scallops with Beurre Blanc
For the Beurre Blanc:
- ¾ cup water
- 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 10 tablespoons (1 ¼ sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-size piece
- Pinch of ground white pepper
For the Scallops:
- 1 ¼ pounds sea scallops
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- Boil first 3 ingredients in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat until mixture is reduced to ¼ cup, about 10 menits. Add cream; reduce heat to low. Add butter, 1 piece at a time, whisking until just melted before adding more. Strain sauce, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Return sauce to pan. Season with salts and white pepper. Place pan in skillet of warm water.
- Sprinkle scallops with salt and white pepper, then dredge in flour, shaking off excess. Heat oil in large nonsticks skillet over medium-high heat, add scallops; cook until golden brown and just opaque in center, about 1 1.2 minutes per side. Divide scallops among plates. Top with sauce and chives.