OYAKADON (CHICKEN AND EGG RICE BOWL)
RICH UMAMI FLAVOR, COOK WITH ONION AND EGGS EXTENSIVE FLAVOR ALL IN ONE BOWL SIMPLE, DELICIOUS UTTERLY ADDICTIVE AND SUPER DELICIOUS
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ½ onion
- 2 large eggs (50 g each w/o shell)
- ½ cup dashi (120 ml) ( It is important to use a good dashi for this recipe)
- 1 ½ Tbsp mirin
- 1 ½ Tbsp sake
- 1 ½ Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 ½ tsp sugar
- 3 cups cooked Japanese short-grain rice
- small bunch Mitsuba (Japanese parsley) (or green onion/scallion)
- Shichimi Togarashi (Japanese seven spice) (optional, if you like spicy)
TO PREPARE INGREDIENTS
first Combine dashi, mirin, sake, soy sauce in a bowl or a liquid measuring cup.
Add sugar and mix all together until sugar is dissolved.
Thinly slice the onion and chop mitsuba (or green onion). Beat one egg in a small bowl (i prepare another egg for my second batch).
Slice the chicken thigh diagonally and cut into 1.5" (4 cm) pieces. make sure you cut the chicken evenly, will be equal thickness and create more surface area for fast cooking.
TO COOK OYAKODON
- Heat a good round pan, (i used oyakadon pan for this, but if you don't have one, just use regular round pan) (i also use smaller pan, for 2 serving)
- Add the onion in a single layer. Pour roughly ⅓ to ½ of the seasonings mixture, pour enough mixing sauce over the onion
- Add half of the chicken on top of the onion. Make sure the onion and chicken are evenly distributed. Turn on the heat to medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to medium-low heat. Skim off any foam or scum if you see any. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and onion is tender.
- Taste the broth and see if you need to adjust. Slowly and evenly drizzle the beaten egg over the chicken and onion. Cook covered on medium-low heat until the egg is done to your liking. Served with an almost set but runny egg
- Add the mitsuba (or green onion) right before removing from the heat. Pour the chicken and egg on top of steamed rice and drizzle the desired amount of remaining sauce.
Serve immediately. Enjoy it with Shichimi Togarashi if you like.