Nutty and Sweet BALSAMIC SIRLOIN STEAK
- 1 lbs lean sirloin steak, trimmed of fat, about 3/4 inch thick (500 g)
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce (30 mL)
- 1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar (30 mL)
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (30 mL)
- 1/2 tsp dried pepper flakes (2 mL)
- 1/8 tsp salt and pepper to taste (0.5 mL)
- Place steak, soy sauce, canola oil, granulated sugar, vinegar, pepper flakes and salt in a quart-size resealable plastic bag. Seal tightly and shake back and forth to allow ingredients to blend evenly. Refrigerate 24 to 48 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat grill or broiler. Coat a cold grill rack or broiler rack with canola oil cooking spray, place over grill or broiler pan. Remove beef from marinade, reserving marinade. Place beef on top of rack and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from rack and place on cutting board 5 minutes before thinly slicing diagonally against the grain.
- Meanwhile, place the reserved marinade in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and continue boiling 2 minutes or until reduces to ¼ cup. Watch carefully not to reduce more than ¼ cup. Remove from heat. Place sliced beef on serving platter and pour sauce evenly over all.