- 400g choice of good beef (we use tenderloin)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 4cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 dried red chillies, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp corn flour (cornstarch) mixed with 1 tbsp water
- 4 spring onions (scallions), cut into batons
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese Shaoxing wine
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp corn flour (cornstarch)
Stir-fry sauce sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Chinese Shaoxing wine
- slice the beef into strips
- Combine the steak with the marinade ingredients. Mix well
- Combine the ingredients for the stir-fry sauce.
- Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan over high heat. Add the beef and cook, stir-frying, for about 2 minutes or until just cooked. Transfer the beef to a large tray or plate.
- Return the same pan to the heat (no need to clean it). Add in the onion (add a little more oil if there isn’t any left in the pan), garlic and chillies. Stir-fry for about a minute. Then add the stir-fry sauce. Allow to simmer for half a minute. Then add the corn flour mixture and simmer until thickened. Add the beef back into the sauce along with the spring onion and toss until well combined.
- Serve warm.