- 1/2 Tbsp yeast (8 mL)
- 1/4 cup warm water (60 mL)
- 1/2 cup hot water (125 mL)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
- 1/4 cup sugar (60 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk (125 mL)
- 1 egg, beaten (1 )
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour (875 mL)
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In large bowl, combine hot water, canola oil, sugar, salt, and evaporated milk. Stir to dissolve sugar, then add dissolved yeast and egg. Stir in 2 cups flour and beat until smooth. Add the remaining flour to make soft dough. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Roll out chilled dough to 1/8 inch thickness on a floured board; cut into 2-inch squares. Deep fry at 375°F (190 C) for 2 - 3 minutes until lightly browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle generously with icing sugar. Serve warm.