Making Chicken Stock
- 3 chicken carcasses
- 1 onion ,peeled
- ½ carrot peeled
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 10 peppercons
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- Wash the chicken bones. Break the carcass into several pieces and place in a tall pan or pot. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Skim well, using a ladle and taking the time to remove all the fat and sendiment on the surface of the liquid.
- Cut the onion and carrot into rough dice. Remove the dark green portion of the leek and discard. Wash the remainder under cold running water to remove all traces of dirt, then cut into short cylinders. Wash the celery stick and cut it into large dice.
- Add all the vegetables and the garlic tho the pan. Crush the peppercorn and add them to the pan with the thyme and bay leaf. Make sure all the ingredients are pushed below the surface of the stock.
- Bring back to the boil. Skim again and leave to simmer for 3 hours, skimming whenever necessary.
- Strain the stock, discarding the solids and allow it to cool. The stock can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or frozen in plastic lidded containers for up to 3 months.