For the lobster stock:
- 2 lobsters shells (or the equivalent of 3 lbs- meat removed and reserved)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic head, halved
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 16 cups water
For the fettuccine:
- 1lb of dried or fresh fettuccine (450 g)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen peas
- 1/2 cup of fresh chives, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot filled with boiling water, cook the lobster for approximately 8 minutes. Drain, remove and de-shell, keeping the carcasses for the stock. Keep lobster meat in a separate bowl for later.
- In the same stockpot, add oil. Combine lobster shells with all the stock ingredients. Bring to a simmer and let reduce for 2 hours. Strain and transfer 6 cups (1,5 l) of the remaining stock into a smaller saucepan, reducing on medium heat for another 20 minutes or until approximately 1/3 of the stock is left. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil and add fettuccine. Cook a minute less than instructed. Strain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan on medium heat and add shallot. Sautee for 1 minute, then add garlic and continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Add stock. Add pasta, lobster meat, peas and chives, and 2 tablespoons of butter and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
Note: Any leftover lobster stock can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months