KOREAN GRILLED MACKAREL
- 2 tablespoons Korean chile paste (gochujang or kochujang)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 eaches whole mackerel (about 1 1/2 pounds each) or you can use any type of flaky fish
- Whisk chile paste, oil, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger in a small bowl until smooth. Transfer 2 tablespoons marinade to a small bowl and set aside.
- Open each fish like a book, exposing the flesh. Place in a large pan or on a baking sheet and spread the remaining marinade over the flesh. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- About 20 minutes before you're ready to grill, preheat grill to high or prepare a charcoal fire.
- Brush the grill rack clean and oil it well. Grill the fish, flesh-side down, for 3 minutes. Flip with a large spatula, spread the reserved marinade over the fish and grill until opaque in the center, 3 to 4 minutes more.