This simple Japanese garlic fried rice with crispy garlic on top, is super delectable, is already delicious on its own
- 2 rice cooker cups uncooked Japanese short-grain rice
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp kosher/sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 stalks parsley
to cook the Japanese rice
, place the rice in a sieve and rinse under running water. Then transfer the rice to a large bowl, cover with water and soak for 30 minutes in the chiller, I like to soak them in an icy cold water. After 30 minutes, drain the rice and place them in the rice cooker and cook as rice cooker instructions, when ready use a fork to fluff them out. Turn the rice cooker off and leave it to cool, usually took me around 30 minutes to Cool off the moist from the rice.
prepare your crispy garlic
. Slice about 4 to 5 cloves of garlic to a thin layer. heat up the oil and add the garlic while the oil are still cold, ( If you add the garlic slices in hot oil, they would burn too fast and you may end up with burnt garlic slices) let it simmer with a very low heat, until the garlic become crispy and slightly brown, once that is done separate the garlic from the oil. Place them on the parchment pepper to observe the extra access from the oil & keep the garlic infused oil in the jar for other use (the oil have develop a garlic scent, great for other cooking)
COOKING YOUR JAPANESE GARLIC FRIED RICE
- mix the egg yolk to a room temperature rice or cold rice and mix it well. (make sure the rice is completely cool or you can use an overnight rice as well)
- scramble the egg white using the garlic infused oil, set aside
- Add the garlic infused oil to a wok or pan, Add the minced garlic in the same pan and stir fry until golden brown and fragrant. Add in butter and swirl around to coat the pan.
- add the egg yolk mixture rice and cook until its evenly mix and the egg yolk have incorporated
- add the white scramble and mix it well, add on the soy sauce and last add the chopped parsley. salt and pepper to taste.
- transfer to your desire bowl and serve them with your crispy garlic