Japanese Beef And Onsen Egg
- 400g (14 oz) scotch fillet (rib eye) steak I prefer sirloin
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cups steamed rice to serve (Japanese rice is preferable)
- pickled ginger to serve
- 4 tbsp finely sliced spring onion
- 2 tbsp sake
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- STEP 1 Place the steak in the freezer for 60-90 minutes or until just firm. Then thinly slice.
- STEP 2 Gently place the eggs in a saucepan of boiling water. Then remove the saucepan from the heat and leave the eggs in the warm water for 20 minutes. Then remove the eggs from the water and rest for 5 minutes.
- STEP 3 Mix the ingredients for the sauce together in a small bowl.
- STEP 4 Divide the rice among serving bowls.
- STEP 5 Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the onions and stir-fry for a minute. Then add the beef. Spread the beef out in the pan and allow to colour on the first side for a minute before tossing the beef around. Add the sauce you made earlier and stir-fry until the sauce has thickened slightly and the beef is well coated. Spoon the beef the rice.
- STEP 6 Crack each egg into a bowl and then pour the egg over the beef. Top with a pickled ginger and spring onion and serve.