Guinnes beef strew
I made this recipe using the stove-top safe insert of my crockpot. I’ll give directions for cooking without the stove-top safe insert, but if you have that particular crockpot, then just cook everything in the insert on your stove-top.
- 5 slices bacon 1.5-2 lbs. boneless beef chuck, cut into 1″ pieces Salt and pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can Guinness (about 15 oz)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Add the bacon to a large saute pan, and cook until browned. Remove the bacon to a plate, and set aside.
- Add the beef to the pan in batches, browning it in the bacon grease. Cook the beef pieces for 2-3 minutes per side, just enough to create a nice, brown crust. Remove the meat as it is browned to the plate with the bacon.
- When all of the meat is browned, add the carrots and the onions to the pan. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until the onions are softened and browned. Add the garlic, and cook for an additional minute.
- Pour the Guinness into the pan, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a spoon.
- At this point, transfer everything to your crockpot. Add the Worcestershire, thyme, bay, beef broth, and tomato paste. Sprinkle in some salt and pepper, and mix to combine.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.