GRILLED MACKEREL (SABA SHIOYAKI)
Baked in the oven, this Grilled Mackerel or Saba Shioyaki is the simplest fish recipe you can make on your busy weeknight. Serve with steamed rice, miso soup, and salad to go with this delicious fish!
- 10 oz mackerel (saba) (280 g, 2 fillets)
- 2 Tbsp sake (you can replace with MIRIN)
- ½ tsp kosher/sea salt (I use Diamond Crystal; Use half for table salt)
- 1 inch daikon radish (grated, to serve)
- 1 tsp soy sauce (to serve)
- 1 wedge lemon
- Coat the fish with 2 Tbsp sake. I marinate this for at least 10 minutes
- Then Pat dry with paper towel (and discard the sake) and transfer the fish to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle ½ tsp salt on both sides of the fish.
- Let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven tonn200 ºC
- After 20 minutes, pat dry the excess moisture came out from the fish.
- Place the fish skin side down and bake for 20 minutes, or until the flesh is golden brown.
- Grate daikon radish using (I love this grater).
- Serve the grilled mackerel with grated daikon and a lemon wedge on the side. Pour a few drops of soy sauce on grated daikon and eat the fish with grated daikon. Enjoy!