GRILLED LAMB SHANK TONGSENG
Front legs (lamb foreshank). This section is located from the thigh to the leg. Divided into two kinds, namely the front legs and hind legs. The forelegs are tougher than the hind legs because the front legs have more muscle than fat. Therefore, the processing of the front legs of the goat must be longer than the hind legs.
Sengkel (lamb shank). Kaki belakang ini memiliki tekstur yang lebih empuk dibandingkan kaki depan.
- 3 pcs lamb shank (sengkel) or lamb foreshank (front leg)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cm ginger
- 4 knob of garlic
- 3 knob of shallots
- 1000 ml of water
- 4 spring onions
- 1 stick of lemongrass
- 1 cm galangal
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons ground pepper, coarsely ground
- 4 red bird's eye chilies
- 1 spring onion
- 1 red tomato
- 3 tablespoons (tbsp) of cooking oil
- 500 ml of liquid coconut milk
- 50 grams of cabbage
- 2 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 6 spring onions
- 4 grains of roasted hazelnut
- 4 cm turmeric
- 2 cm ginger
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Supplementary materialMelinjo Crackers or any other types;
Preparing the Shank
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a heavy based pot over medium-high heat. Sear two shanks in the hot oil until browned on all sides. Repeat with remaining shanks and oil.
- Transfer to a plate, tent with foil to keep warm, set aside.
- To the pan juices, sauté garlic, shallots, coarse white pepper, ginger, spring onion, lemongrass, galangal, garam masala,
- Return the shanks back into the pot; season with 1 teaspoon coarse salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper. Sprinkle with flour, toss well and cook for 4-5 minutes to brown the flour.then add the water.
- Cover, cook for 2 1/2 hours, or until the meat is fall apart tender (adjust the heat so that the liquid simmers very slowly).
- Gently transfer the shank onto a plate, set aside
Preparing the Soup
- Heat oil in a skillet, saute ground spices until fragrant, then add lemongrass and bay leaves. Then stir until smooth and fragrant.
- After that add water and stir until blended. Then add the liquid coconut milk. Reduce the heat and keep stirring the coconut milk until cooked. Avoid using high heat when cooking coconut milk because coconut milk can be damaged and broken. Set aside the tongseng sauce.
- Then saute the sliced shallots and garlic until slightly wilted and fragrant, add the mutton.
- Cook, stirring until the spices are evenly distributed
- Then add the cabbage, cayenne pepper, chopped green onion, stir briefly, and cook until it boils. Then add the coconut milk sauce while stirring so that the coconut milk does not break. It is recommended to use low heat after the coconut milk boils.
- add the tomato and soy sauce, cook briefly until the sauce looks thickened.
- grilled or seared the lamb shank and place on top of the sauce