- ½ cup/4 oz (125 mL/227 g) butter
- ⅔ cup (170 mL) brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) molasses
- 2½ cups (625 mL) flour (I'm working on experimenting with some whole wheat)
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) cloves
- 1 cup hot (not boiling) water
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (175˚C). Grease an 8" x 8" baking pan.
- Cream shortening/butter. Gradually add the sugar, then the egg. Beat until light and fluffy. Add the molasses and mix until just blended.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. Add to the batter, ½ cup (125 mL) at a time, alternating with ¼ cup (60 mL) water. Beat until smooth after each addition. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.