GARLIC BUTTER BRAZILLIAN STEAK WITH PAPATAS BRAVAS
THE JUICE, THE BUTTER AND THE GARLIC SUPER AMAZING COMBINATIONS
- 10 medium cloves garlic
- kosher salt
- 700 Gr. sirloin, trimmed and cut into 4 pieces
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or vegetable oil
- 2 oz. unsalted butter (4 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
For the sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 227g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp sweet paprika (pimenton)
- good pinch chilli powder
- pinch sugar
- chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
For the potatoes
- 900g potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Make your PATATA BRAVAS
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion for about 5 mins until softened. Add the garlic, chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, sweet paprika, chilli powder, sugar and a pinch of salt, then bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Lower to a simmer and cook for 10 mins until pulpy. Can be kept chilled for up to 24 hrs.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Pat the potatoes dry with kitchen paper, then tip into a roasting tin and toss in the olive oil and some seasoning. Roast for 40-50 mins until crisp and golden.
Make the steak
- Cut the steak into 3 or 4 parts. Pat the steaks dry then season both sides liberally with salt and pepper
- In a heavy duty skillet large enough for the skirt steak, heat oil over medium-high heat until it’s very hot. Add the steak and sear both sides (brown both sides) for 2-3 minutes until medium rare or cook longer until your desired doneness. I cooked mine for about 4 minutes on each side. Place steaks to rest on a plate and cover with foil.
- In a skillet melt the butter over low heat then add the garlic. Cook swirling or using a spatula to move the butter and garlic around until lightly golden. Don’t over cook, or the butter and garlic will burn.
- Pour the garlic butter into a bowl and salt to taste. Slice the steak against the grain. Garnish with parsley and then spoon or pour the garlic butter over the steak. Serve immediately. Accompany by papaya braves