French Traditional Roast Chicken
- 1 large (about 2kg) Steggles Family Feast Roast chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20g butter, melted
- 4 garlic cloves, bruised
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 12 pickling onions
- 12 baby Coliban (chat) potatoes
- Fresh bay leaves, extra, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Rinse the chicken cavity under cold water. Pat the chicken dry inside and out with paper towel.
- Place the chicken in a large roasting pan. Brush the oil and butter over the skin of the chicken. Place the garlic, bay leaves, rosemary and thyme in the chicken cavity. Season well with salt and pepper. Arrange the onions and potatoes around the chicken. Drizzle the wine and chicken stock over the chicken and vegetables.
- Roast the chicken in preheated oven, basting occasionally in pan juices, for 11/2-2 hours or until the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thigh.
- Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes to rest before serving.