French Onion Soup
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 5 large onion,sliced
- 50g butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 thyme sprigs
- salt and pepper
- 200ml Madeira
- 200ml beef or chicken stock
- ½ baguette
- 50gr gruyere cheese,grated
- 100gr parmesan cheese grated
- Heat the oil in large saucepan or casserole.Add the onions and cook over a medium heat until they start to colour.
- Add the butter bay leaf and thyme and season with some salt and pepper.Continue cooking scraping the bottom of the pan where the onions are sticking.
- Once the onion are fully cooked and browned add the Madeira and let it boil until it has all evaporated.Pour in the stock,bring to the boil and simmer gently for 20 ‘ over a low heat.
- Meanwhile,cut the bagutte into slices and toast them under the grill.
- Adjust the seasoning of the soup to taste,then pour it into heatproof serving bowls and place them on baking tray.
- Sprinkle each portion of soup with gruyere chees.Layer the tosted baguette sliced on top and cover it with the grated parmesan.
- Put the tray of soups under the hot grill until the chees has melted and is golden brown.