Foie Gras with Red Velvet Sauce
Foie gras combines perfectly with sweets and fruits. This is one of my recipes from my old restaurant, which I’ve perfected and now serve in my new restaurant as well. I get a lot of inquiries about it so I thought I’d share the goodness.
INGREDIENTSFor Foie Gras
- 1 foie gras, whole
- Slices of toasted bread
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar (or maple syrup or honey)
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- Porto (or muscat or any sweet alcohol)
- 1 cup blueberries 1 cup blackberries 1 cup raspberries Cinnamon
- Separate the 2 lobes of the foie gras.
- Cut each lobe into 1-inch thick slices (21⁄2cm).
- Add salt.
- In a very hot pan, sear the slices of foie gras for few minutes on each side until golden brown (don’t add any fat or oil).
- Remove the fat surplus from the pan as it appears and keep.
- Finish cooking the browned slices in the oven for 4 to 5 minutes at 200°C/400°F. Keep warm.
- To make the sauce, place the onions in a pan and cook with olive oil.
- Add the sugar, red wine vinegar, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries to the pan. Deglaze with the porto, and add the basil.
- Remove the foie gras from the oven. Pour the liquid fat into the pan and combine with the sauce.
- Do not mix.
Place the slices of foie gras on a piece of toast and cover with berry sauce.