Duck a l’orange
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
- 1 ½ cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 4 oranges, sections cut from membranes
- 2 duck breast halves, seasoned with salt and pepper
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons orange zes
- Boil the sugar and water for several minutes, until the syrup caramelizes and turns a golden brown color. Add the vinegar, juice, shallots, and chicken stock and simmer until the sauce is reduced to a little less than a cup. Add butter and 1 tablespoon of orange zest. Stir in orange sections.
- In a skillet, sear the duck breasts over high heat. Cook the duck for about 9-11 minutes on each side. Pour the prepared sauce over the duck breasts and garnish with the remaining orange zest.