CRISPY TEMPURA AND CHIPS WITH HOMEMADE TARTAR SAUCE AND PICKLED ONIONS
We always want to have a good fish and chips, this Japanese style fish tempura says it all.
- 1L canola oil
- 100g plain flour for dusting
- 150g tempura batter mix
- 800g skinless snapper fillets
- 3/4 cup soda water
- 6 large Desiree potatoes (peeled and cut into chips)
- 8 pickled onions
- 1 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs baby capers
- 12 cornichons
- 2 golden shallots
- Lemon zest and juice
- Blend cornichons, capers and golden shallots in a food processor. Stir in mayonnaise, lemon zest and juice until combined. (you can also have it by chopping them, so you will get the texture)
- Place the chips in a pot of cold water, bring to the boil and drain. Place the uncovered chips in the fridge to dry out.
- Mix the tempura flour into the soda water and add a few cubes of ice to keep really cold, refrigerate.
- Heat canola oil to 170 C in a large, heavy based pot. Dust snapper fillets in flour and dip into tempura batter. Fry fish turning regularly until crispy.
- Drain on a paper towel. Serve fish on top of chips with tartar and pickled onions. Season to taste.