Crispy Salt and Pepper Squid
- 2 squid tubes, cleaned
- 4 tbsp self raising flour
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp sechuan pepper // or finely ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2 cups of olive or peanut oil for frying
- chopped shallots and red long chilli slices to garnish
- Rinse squid tubes under cold running water and dry off thoroughly with paper towels.
- Cut squid into bite-sized pieces and score the “fleshy” side on the diagonal to form a diamond pattern.
- Mix flours, pepper and salt in a bowl and add squid. Toss to coat well.
- Heat oil in a saucepan until very hot – test the temperature by dropping in a small bread crust, if it sizzles and bread turns golden brown within 10 seconds, the oil is ready.
- Using tongs, drop in small batches of about 5 pieces into the oil and cook until the crust turns golden.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper towel. Repeat with the rest.
- Fry up diced shallots and chilli to garnish.
- Serve immediately, or reheat in a very hot oven or under the grill.