CRISPY CURRY PUFF
This Irresistible taste of Malaysian and Singaporean Curry is one of a KIND, My parents favorite things to buy when ever the visit singapore, we even always make sure we buy some to bring back to JAKARTA. I make this recipe that is close to my heart and make it personal, since my Father passed away, I determine to bring that memory back
This Pandemic, makes it harder, since it is impossible to visit Singapore and re kindle that culinary memory
- 1 kg chicken meat, diced
- 1 kg potatoes, diced
- 500 g onions, diced
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 2-3 tablespoons curry powder
- 15 dried chillies
- 8 shallots
- 125 ml water
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 900 g flour
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 335 g water
- 340 g butter
- 20 g Ghee, (optional)
- 730 g flour
- Soak dried chillies in hot water for 5 minute. Rinse and blend together with shallots till fine. Mix in curry powder.
- Heat oil in wok and saute chilly paste and curry leaves till fragrant.
- Add in diced chicken, potatoes. Fry for 3 minutes on medium fire. Add in onions and water. Simmer for 5 minutes or until almost dry.
- Remove to cool.
- Mixed salt to water to make salt water.
- Add salt water to flour gradually and slowly knead to form a nice white dough.
- Divide into portions of 85 gram each. Roll into a ball.
- Leave aside.
- Add butter and ghee to flour and knead to form a dough.
- Divide into 70 grams portion each.
TO MAKE SPIRAL SKIN
- Flatten the water dough and wrap the oil dough inside. Pinch the edges to seal it nicely.
- Let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to form a rectangle of 20 x 11 cm. Working on the shorter end, slowly roll up tightly into a swiss roll.
- Roll from the shorter end of the swiss roll to flatten dough. Slowly roll up from the shorter side to form a swiss roll.
- Let dough rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat the process until you finished with the rest of the dough.
- Cut dough into 4 pieces.
TO FILL AND SHAPE PUFF
- Roll a piece of the cut dough into a circle with rolling pin.
- Put 1 Tbsp of filling in the centre.
- Brush the edge with water and fold into half. Press the edge together and seal it. This will give you a half moon shape.
- Pinch the edge of the puff with your thumb. Bring the back side forward and seal it with the front. Repeat the process. You should be able to get about 8-9 pleats.
- Heat oil in wok or deep fryer. Oil must be very hot before putting in the puff and enough to cover to the puff.
- Deep fry the puff on medium heat until golden brown.