Crispy Beef Ribs
(Memphis Style Ribs)
- 2 racks of baby back ribs
- 1/8 cup paprika
- 2 and 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 and 1/4 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 3/4 tsp celery salt
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp dry mustard
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
For the mop sauce (optional)
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup regular yellow mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- Remove the thin, papery skin from the back of the ribs by grabbing an end and pulling with your fingers, it should come off quite easily.
- Mix all the rub ingredients together in a bowl and rub into both sides of the ribs, reserving about 2 tbsp. Cover and let the ribs marinate, (or cure, as the book states), for 4 - 8 hours in the fridge.
- If using the mop sauce, mix the ingredients together in a bowl, cover and refrigerate also.
- You now have a choice. As these ribs need to cook for a long time, I thought it best if I started them in the oven and then finished them off at my friend's BBQ. If you want to do the same, remove from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature as you preheat the oven to 350oF. Cover if you want and cook for approximately 1 hour, after which time they will be getting tender.
- If you want to BBQ them completely, perhaps using some smoking wood chips, place on a medium grill, cover and cook for 1 hour also. In both cases, after an hour, baste with the mop sauce, if you are using and continue to BBQ for about 30 minutes.
- The ribs should be very tender after this time and pulling back from the bone. Sprinkle with the reserved 2 tbsp of rub and cut up into individual ribs and serve.