Coxinhas (Chicken Croquettes)
- 1 hour 0 min
- COOK TIME
- 30 mins
- TOTAL TIME
- 1 hour 30 mins
INGREDIENTSFor the filling
- 1.5lbs chicken
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp poultry seasoning
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 package of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large potato
- 2.5 cups of the chicken broth
- 1 cube of chicken bouillon
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- 2.5 cups of all purpose flour
- Bowl of almost freezing water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Cook the chicken and the potato in 8 cups of water and 1 cube of chicken bouillon. Once the potato and the chicken are fork tender, take them out and reserve 2.5 cups of the broth for the dough.
- Mash the potato and reserve.
- In a food processor, shred the chicken. Reserve.
- Bring the broth back to the pot and add the mashed potatoes and the butter. When it boils, add the flour a little at a time, stirring constantly, until it forms a dough.
- Knead the dough while it's still warm, until silky and smooth.
- To make the filling, sauté the onions and garlic until translucent and the add the chicken, poultry seasoning and the parsley. Mix everything together and season with salt and pepper. Add the cream cheese and cook until the cream cheese is melted and everything is incorporated.
- To make your coxinhas, take a little piece of the dough and form a ping pong sized ball. Flatten it into a disc, hollowing up the middle for the filling.
- Spoon a tablespoon of the filling into the middle of dough.
- Press the dough closed around the filling, shaping it like a teardrop.
- Continue until you run out of dough.
- To coat your coxinhas with breadcrumbs, first wet one of your hands with cold water and pass it on the coxinha. Then, coat the coxinha with breadcrumbs. Set it aside in a baking sheet and continue to coat all your coxinhas.
- Fill a saucepan with enough vegetable oil to cover the coxinhas.
- Heat the oil and fry your coxinhas in batches, until they're golden brown. • Place the fried coxinhas on a plate covered with paper towels so the paper towels absorb the excess of oil.
- Serve your coxinhas warm with some hot sauce, accompanied by some ice cold beer.
- YOU MAY REPLACE CREAM CHEESE WITH YOUR CHOICE OF CHEESE
- YOU CAN FREEZE YOUR COXINHAS BEFORE FRYING
- ** MAKE SURE YOU DEFROST THEM IN THE FRIDGE THE NIGHT BEFORE USING