Coconut Shrimp with Spicy Orange Sauce
Yield: 4 Servings Prep: 10 mins Cook: 15 mins Ready In: 25 mins
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 20 large shrimp
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded dry coconut
- vegetable oil for frying
- To make the sauce, add the marmalade and Thai sweet chili sauce to a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until bubbly (about 30 seconds), then stir in the lemon juice.
- Leaving the tail-on, shell and devein the shrimp. If you want to prevent the shrimp from curling when you fry them, make a series of perpendicular incisions about 1/4" apart along the inside of the curl. Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels, then generously salt and pepper both sides.
- Prepare three shallow bowls, 1 with flour, 1 with the egg, and 1 with the coconut. Dust each shrimp with the flour, then dip them dip them in the egg. This combination acts as the glue for the coconut, so make sure you don't miss any spots. Finally, lay the shrimp on the coconut and sprinkle some of the coconut on top, pressing on the shrimp to make sure it gets a nice thick coating. Lift the shrimp up by it's tail and give it a wiggle to shake off any excess coconut. Repeat with the rest of the shrimp.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, add 1" of oil and heat over medium high heat until it reaches 350 degrees F. Fry the shrimp in batches, until golden brown, flipping once half-way through. Skim off any foam that surfaces. Drain the coconut shrimp on the paper towel lined rack and serve with the spicy orange sauce.