CHOCOLATE BAKED CUSTARD
Preparation Time 5 minutes Cooking Time 50 minutes (serves 4)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup pouring cream
- 100g good-quality dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Canned or fresh fruit, to serve
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Combine milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until hot (do not allow to boil). Remove saucepan from heat. Add chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar and vanilla in a heatproof bowl until well combined. Pour hot milk mixture over egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Pour custard into four lightly-greased, 3/4-cup capacity ovenproof ramekins. Place in a deep baking tray. Pour boiling water into baking tray until halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake custards, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until just set (see tip). Serve warm or chilled with fruit.
When testing baked custard, insert a table knife midway between rim and centre (not in middle). If knife comes out clean, custard is ready.